Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Big 4.0.

This past weekend was a big one for Marc. He turned the ripe old age of 40. It's hard to believe he's even that old with his boyish good looks. He keeps saying that he just doesn't feel that old.



Here he is as a boy. What a cutie!



So, the day before his birthday I surprised him with a day of skiing at Solitude Ski Resort in Big Cottonwood Canyon. I had heard sometime in October that the resort should be open by Nov. 13th and I kept that in mind for his big day. We've never skiied that early ever....so I thought it would be fun.....and it was!



After skiing we stopped at the U of U to pick up Bailee from my sister. My nephew Tally was playing in the football game to determine who would go to the state championships. We stayed for a few hours but had to leave to get back for Kenadee's birthday party. She turned 12 on the 12th but more about that in the next post.



We made it home in time to freshen up and then take Kenadee and 7 girlfriends to dinner at Costa Vida and to see the new Disney Christmas Carol movie. We also took the family...but we didn't sit anywhere near the girls!!



After the movie I took the girls home while Marc and the kids got their swimsuits on ready to go to flowrider....an indoor surfing place. Fridays from 11pm-12am its only $5. They ended up staying an extra half hour and made it home by 1.30am. He was kicking of his 40's in a big way!



By the time his actual birthday rolled around he was exhausted (and a little sore). He was quite content to stay home on his birthday, relax and watch movies. So that's what we did...until about 4.30p when his mom arrived to watch the kids (or at least thats what we told him). She was actually here to set up for his 'surprise' party!


I was nervous that we had left for dinner kind of late and when he chose his restaurant there was a 30 minute wait which meant we would have 15 mins to order and eat so I started faking sick. After a 30 minute wait, I finally had to tell the hostess about the party and ask if she could bump us up which she kindly did. Marc was so sweet as I faked sick. He was even going to get his food to go but they were fast enough that he ate it and we headed home. I was telling him to hurry all the way home saying I felt that I was going to throw up. He honestly had NO IDEA that there would be a party. My dad caught his reaction in the photo below.









I really don't like planning parties and it weighed on me the whole week prior. It's hard to keep a secret and also to try to get things done when my hubby works at home. My sister in laws, Molly and Caity, and Marc's mom, were a huge help with the party. Molly helped me plan an 80's theme. They looked so awesome....Adam and John too!



I did a terrible job of taking photos....well, I didn't take any. My dad took these. I wish I had taken pictures of all the guests for our scrapbook. He had some good friends from high school show up which was a big surprise. It meant a lot to him to have his family and friends there to support him during his middle age crisis. He said it made the transition a lot smoother!
For his b-day present I got tickets to see Billy Joel and Elton John in Salt Lake. He was also really surprised about this. We're going this Friday....can't wait!






5 comments:

Penny said...

Wow - can you come plan my 40th Birthday party and buy me presents. I say that Marc scored! Wish I could have been there. It looks like so much fun!

Collings Family said...

Penny's right - Marc scored big time! That should have earned you a big reserve of points!

kelli said...

wow! I'm impressed!!! I think Derrick would KILL me if I ever threw him a party. I guess I'll have to do a 'surprise' part sometime, since he'd never kill me in front of all those people!

BTW, how did you like the movie?

Tracy Collings said...

Looks like a great couple of days!

Julie said...

Dang it! We blew it. For some reason I thought the party was this Saturday. Tell Marc "Happy Birthday" from Dave and me. Guess what? We are going to the Billy Joel/ Elton John concert tomorrow night too! Maybe we'll see you there.